Re: Graphing by Hand

I feell most students feel graphs to be only some magic shape that makes
the teacher smile and gives them a good grade. The advent of graphing
calculators is making this all the more common. In my role as a high
school teacher I try my utmost to fight this and make a graph something
real. Not only must they hand plot any and all graphs from which they
will derive conclusions from their experiments, but we do extensive work
with qualitative sketching of graphing particular concepts. I guess it
depends on whether you emphasis is answers or concepts. Some of you are
in the situation where you must emphasize answers, but I feel this
emphasis will fade quickly whereas once a concept is fully in place it
will never leave.