Re: counting balls

Date: Fri, 12 Sep 1997 23:13:51 -0700
From: Leigh Palmer <palmer@sfu.ca>
To: phys-l@atlantis.cc.uwf.edu
Subject: counting balls

On Friday, Sept. 12 Leigh Palmer wrote:

I remember vividly when I first saw the "counting balls" demo. It was
when I was a little boy and my father took me with him to his bowling
league game. Bowling balls used to come up in a long rack with detents
and they exhibit this phenomenon better than those novelty toys.
[question asked from the list:]
1. What is the "counting ball demo"?

The counting balls are those lines of five ball bearings suspended from
two rails. Pull n balls off one side (n<5) and realease them, n balls
are ejected from the other side after the first n balls collide.

I think this is also called the "Newtonian Demonstrator" or the
"swinging balls" demonstration.

Regards,
Steven Ratliff

Steven T. Ratliff