Re: List of Lists

At 11:56 9/14/97 -0600, you wrote:
Folks, wizards all, surely there is somewhere a list of lists -- probably
searchable as ther must be several thousand by now. And a list of
newsgroups would be handy too. Can anyone help?????

Jim Green
JMGreen@sisna.com

Jim, you are posting from a Windows PC using Eudora Pro
version 2.2 seemingly.
In most newsgroup readers, it is a prerequisite to locate a newsgroup
server and then download a list of all newsgroups available therein
on a one-time basis. One then selects groups of interest for review.

About 18 months ago, I ran this tedious process ( it can take a half-hour...)
to list the 13000 groups available.
I repeated this process a month or two ago, when I updated my newsreader.
There were about 19000 listed at that time.
I was using the Super-zippo news service which is subscription based, and
often provided by the ISP as part of his service offering.

The freeware newreader I use ( and recommend) is called Winvn.
This originated in several NASA employees and is suitable for your machine.
(You can download the software)

You probably are not yet completely familiar with the increasingly useful
search facilities which are available on the net.
If you have a web browser such as Netscape, you will soon find an address
('URL') for some search engines.

I used infoseek with the keyword 'list' in order to research this response.

Try these two URLs;

For Lists and Newsgroups

http://www.liszt.com/select/Education

For MailServs

http://iquest.com/~fitz/www/mailserv/

To acquire data from newgroups, the dominant service is called DejaNews.
This can call recent or extended posts on a keyword.

It also offers interest profiles of newsgroup contributors.
From memory, I think the URL is
http://www.dejanews.com

Hope this helps

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>