Re: Latin & Shaksper Stuff

At 10:43 9/12/97 -0700, you wrote:
I appreciate [David's] well thought out responses on many of the
issues that come
up on the list, even the long opi (pl. ? of opus)

The plural of "opus" are "opera", eh?

Leigh

Not an unreasonable sounding suggestion.
My dictionary offers opera as a singular feminine noun for
which the plural form is operae.

Even more unintuitively, it offers as the plural form of opus
(singular neuter noun), the word operis which seems like a truly
irregular form.
Perhaps the word's Greek roots have something to do with this...

While I'm nit-picking, I'd better 'fess up that the actual atribution
for the quote, "...spirits from the vasty deep" which I used recently
was not Tempest, but rather, Henry IV, Pt 1

Regards

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK