Re: Style

On Fri, 12 Sep 1997, Richard W. Tarara wrote:

While a certain amount of sniping is inevitable on this kind of list, there
exists a danger (I would say already a reality) that excessive sniping and
especially ridicule will tend to drive away the "thinner-skinned" and "less
knowledgeable" amongst us to the point that the list will become (as I
think it has) a debating platform for a very few College/University types.
I worry that many, especially many High School teachers, have been
intimidated into silence. My advice then, is to try to keep the personal
criticism and derogatory remarks to a minimum. ;-)

Notwithstanding my own culpability in the current thread, I agree with
Rick. I don't like sniping and I don't think it often serves desirable
ends. Even more so, I'd hate to see it silence anyone with sincere
interest in the answers to questions of relevance to this list out of fear
of humiliation. I think the general policy should be one of (and I'd like
to think that I have) infinite tolerance for questions or objections that
are sincerely posed and that are based on at least a good faith effort to
read and understand the discussion that precedes it. Even then we all
make occasional mistakes and the air is best cleared by simply owning up
to them--a practice which only serves to further the atmosphere of
informality, collegiality, and (dare I say) humility that I think we all
would prefer.

John
A. John Mallinckrodt http://www.intranet.csupomona.edu/~ajm
Professor of Physics mailto:ajmallinckro@csupomona.edu
Physics Department voice:909-869-4054
Cal Poly Pomona fax:909-869-5090
Pomona, CA 91768-4031 office:Building 8, Room 223