Re: reason for "s = distance travelled" - Wrapup

From: brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>

I received another interesting note from a German PhD candidate
to the effect that is was common knowledge that early German work
used Latin terms.
It seemed evident to him that s was the initialization of 'spatium'.

For the record, my Italian physics students usually tell me they assume s is
for "spazio".

Mark.

Mark Sylvester
United World College of the Adriatic, Duino, Trieste, Italy.
msylvest@spin.it
tel: +39 40 3739 255