Re: reason for "s = distance travelled" - Wrapup

At 10:08 8/24/97 +0200, Inge wrote:
I got recently a question from one of my students that I couldn't
answer. The question was simply : "What is the reason for using
the letter s to denote distance travelled ?". I promised to check it
out, so if anyone has a historical/philological explanation I would be
grateful to receive it.

Inge H. A. Pettersen

I quote by permission: