Re: ??? ??? ???=the nature of students

phys-l@mailer.uwf.edu,Internet writes:
I do have some small data to support this. I have regularly asked
a class each year, when reaching optics, how many have played with a
magnifying glass, especially to burn paper, etc.

Something pleasant in this gloom and doom.
I ask my students the same (similiar) question, but with leaves and finally
with small bugs or ants. Until five years ago, females in my science classes
had not done that - I have reason to believe the veracity of their statement.
Five years ago, several women proudly "admitted" to doing such a thing
(toasting an ant with the magnifier) Now in my classes it averages out to be
about 50/50. I think that is good for science!!

jim ealy
Packer Collegiate Institute
Brooklyn, NY USA