Re: ??? ??? ???=the nature of students

On Fri, 5 Sep 1997, LUDWIK KOWALSKI wrote:

What follows was a long P.S. in my last message. It deserves a new subject.

P.S.
Yes, "thinking's fun", as you wrote, Leigh, and as confirmed by Margaret
on the other side of the globe. I wish my students would agree. Yesterday
I asked, in a Conceptual Science course for non-science majors, "who can
explain changing shapes of the moon to a child?". Nobody raised the hand.
My first thought was "intimidation"; they do not want to be singled out
for an explanation. So I said "I will not ask you to perform. I only want
to know. Would you (pointing to a student in the first raw) count the number
of hands raised when I turn my face toward the blackboard, please." I turned
and waited. Then I turned back and asked about the outcome. "No hands were
raised" she said.

I was depressed. Do you have such students in Australia, Margaret? Phys-L-ers
from other countries, try to describe your situations. How do you deal with
the issue? My approach is "to do the best I can". I would prefer, however, to
be instructed (by those who control education) to reject such students.
But, as Donald pointed out last year, the system does not allow for this.
How should we deal with the issue?
Ludwik Kowalski

This ought to get people going :) I think what you are seeing is
what many of us also see in the students. My belief is that today's kids
just do not interact with nature during their childhood years as previous
generations did. Blame it on what you will.

I do have some small data to support this. I have regularly asked
a class each year, when reaching optics, how many have played with a
magnifying glass, especially to burn paper, etc. I ask this in order to
point out the definition of a focal point and focal length. Over the past
16 years I've seen the precentage drop from about 80% to 30% in classes
other than intro physics, i.e. for non-science students.

The only solution is to do much more hands-on work so that they
can make up for what they are missing in experience.

Mike Monce
Connecticut College