Re: FLOW of energy

Rick says:

I challenged Jim to explain how the combusion of coal in an electrical
generation plant ends up as a rise in temperature in a power line without
using heat/energy transfers, flows, heat as energy, and all his other
taboos, in a clear, concise way that would be appropriate for intro
students.

I though I answered you. But let me be plainer -- if you insist:

A) This is a crumby example to use to tech physics

I think I can do it reasonably well using the 'forbidden' terms
and in so doing increase student's understanding of the physical world
around them. Could these students be taken to a deeper understanding, one
based on thermodynamics? Sure, some could, but for the majority, what is
gained? If we are only to teach what is absolutely true then we can teach
NOTHING.

B) What this may suggest is that a teacher just does not know enough physics
to teach it correctly -- not a real surprise. HS teachers may have had only
one year of college algebra based physics and PhDs typically never had to
study for a thermo section their quals. At least *I* didn't -- the subject
never came up either on my quals or orals -- this could be because my profs
didn't know enough thermo to ask -- surely the prof I took thermo from did
not. But that is just the problem -- as I have said earlier today. There
are those on this list who have no trouble teaching T#1 and T#2 correctly
and their students understand.

Jim Green
JMGreen@sisna.com