Re: Bridge Contests

At 11:29 8/22/97 -0600, Larry Smith wrote:
When I was in high school the local university (Brigham Young University)
began such bridge building contests. They ran them at the university for
the engineering students and also took their bridge breaking (and load
testing) apparatus around to the high schools for contests there as well.
(I must parenthetically say that although my bridges held greater loads
each year my ranking dropped each year as my classmates improved more than
I did.)

I am so bold as to imagine that when you are 65 and world-weary, you
will still be able to provide at the drop of a hat, three effective ways
of beefing up a center-loaded beam. That would be the kind of learning
one could wish for physics students.

Anyway, the university sold pre-packaged kits for a couple of bucks that
had the cardboard bridge deck, two small square base blocks, some long thin
sticks of balsa wood, and a tube of airplane glue. The kits were all
supposed to be uniform (but sometimes we'd buy two kits and try to combine
the best sticks into the equivalent of one kit).

The criterion could reasonably be
load at failure divided by notional cost of components.

Since I was in high school the rules have changed slightly to where the
winner isn't merely the bridge that holds the greatest load, but the
greatest load divided by the weight of the bridge.

I expect you saw the note from Paul Namkcih - apologies if i'm
wrongly inferring his name from his email address - who mentioned the URL for
IIT's bridge-making rules, as follows:

http://www.iit.edu/~hsbridge/

They too, are using the quotient of load at failure by mass
(Mass serves as a very usable proxy for cost in engineering
works of this kind)

I imagine that the appropriate engineering departments at BYU could give
you specs on their kits (or the source of them).

HTH,
Larry

Sounds like a helpful tip. I must also mention MIT who have raised this
contest style creativity to a work of art.

Regards

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK