Re: inertia of 'electron stuff'

At 11:33 8/1/97 -0400, Chuck Britton wrote:

I remember reading of an experiment done a century or so ago that spun a
coil of copper wire at high speed ...

I propose that if this experiment is repeated with a wire composed of
zinc, beryllium, cadmium or other material with a POSITIVE Hall
coefficient, then the potential difference will be REVERSED, showing the
inertia (and 'reality') of 'holes'.

This evokes a distant memory of the genesis of the Hall discovery.

If I recall, a research advisor threw out an offhand suggestion
as to transverse polarisation of current-carriers.
Hall picked up and ran with the idea, so that his name is
immortalized, much to the consternation of folks in the vicinity...
(A sort of reverse Jocelyn Bell I suppose, who identified the first
pulsar as a research student, and whose director all but walked away
with the academic prize.)

[All facts unverified]

Regards