Re: CONSERVATION OF ENERGY, history

At 23:26 7/28/97 EDT, you wrote:
3. When producing heat from mechanical work we can write: W = JH + w,
Ludwik Kowalski

P.S. Will I find traces of similar quotations in Sears and Zemansky?
I suspect, yes, but this remains to be seen. Please share similar
observations, we can benefit from each other's efforts.

As you know Ludwik, I have abjured personal thermodynamic exercises,
for want of talent.

But I wonder just how useful your call for "reactionary" usages of
the heat and work four-letter words really are?
I have already demonstrated to my own satisfaction that scientists at all
levels, not least Nobel Physicists are apt to use these terms in 'popular'
rather than 'technical' ways.

So it does not surprise me that text writers, teachers and other physicists
can be found to use constructions which people who have a grip on the
topic find confusing.
Do you want us to be confused?

If we limit ourselves to using these terms in circumscribed ways - even
eliminating the non-verbal forms as Leigh would have us do - if this would
in fact reduce confusion, would it not be a desirable ideal?

Regards
brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK