sci sequence in high schools

Herb Gotlieb made reference to the shortage of high school physics teachers that
might be created if physics were given first. The sci teaching methods course
was given every third semester here at MSU for the last 5 or 6 years, although
we are going to try it once a year during AY97-98. It is an evening course. Few
of the students are MSU undergraduates. The enrollment the last time it was
given (Spring 97) was 24. Of these one was preparing to teach physics, 2
chemistry, 1 earth science and 20 biology. Our program has NCATE approval which
means , among other things, that it meets NSTA requirements. For a physics
teacher, these include a calculus based major (approx 34 credits), a course in
astronomy, and two years of chemistry. We strongly encourage a student to take
Physical Geology 112 In NJ there isn't a physics certification. It is a physical
science certification. You can meet its requirements with about 30 credits in
physical science. On the other hand to meet MSU' requirements due to NCATE, you
need to meet what was mentioned. Of the undergraduate majors, all 10 of them,
two are preparing to teach physics We average one student going into teaching
every two years. There is an effort by some to re-tread biology teachers to meet
what should be an increasing rate of retirements. The state system is not the
major source for new science teachers.
Nonetheless, if physics were given first and required of all high school
students, the system could adjust resulting in a better match to the demand.
What may be a more formidable hurdle may be the NJ Science Standards and the
testing associated with them.