Re: Hubris of physicists

On Tue, 22 Jul 1997, James W. Wheeler wrote:

How many of you are at schools with more physicists on faculty than
biologists? (Do you have half as many?) I have heard that 90% of high
school students take biology, 50% chemistry, and 20% physics. (Does
someone have a source for these numbers) Is this a result of our
hubris or failure to respond to a market, or have we just lost the
political battle of which should be taken first? I do believe that
physics is the fundamental science, why shouldn't it be taught first?

Actually, there's a fellow in Farmington, CT who has convinced the
local board to try the sequence: physics, chem, and bio, starting in 10th
grade. It's been running for three years, and surprise surprise, the
success rate of the students going on to chem and bio is much higher than
in the traditional system. I trying to get my town's HS to do the same .

Mike Monce
Connecticut College