Re: Hubris of physicists

At 04:10 PM 7/22/97 -0400, Mike Monce wrote:

This year's (freshman)
list includes the book Wonderful Life, by Stephen Gould. While reading
the book I kept noticing many undisguised put-downs of physics and
physicists. Finally, near the end, Gould admits his reason for writing
the book was to try and rearrange the pecking order of the sciences
through the example of the work done on the Burgess Shale fauna.

It's usually a good idea to beware anyone with an admitted agenda.
It's an even better idea to be aware of hidden agendas when reading
research results or even popularizations.

Gould

is a worthy popularizer of science - but as shameless a self-promoter as
ever strutted the stage.

Meanwhile I open up my July copy of Physics Today, and find a
sidebar by Rober Austin indicating that "Having lived with biologists and
biochemists for a number of years, I know damn well that many of them
can't reason their way out of a paper bag, and that they really need the
analytic and experimental gifts of good physicists to help in the really
major conceptual logjams that are facing modern biology."

Gee - I know some fellow physicists and astronomers who could also benefit
from those gifts. The disciplines are not well-served by this kind of
sniping!

I would just like some of your opinions on this. Is 'historical
science', as Gould puts it, a valid field ranking the same as physics? Is
environmental biology (a lot of cataloging and observation) science? Is
Austin right? It would help to have a broader view of this from
physicists before I give my own opinion to those poor freshmen.

Why rank the sciences? Surely there are contributions to understanding
from all of these various perspectives. More important to help instill in
your students a sense of skeptical wonder at the universe around them, and
a conviction that understanding is within their grasp. Help them to see
the difference between science and pseudo-science, help them to see science
as a human activity rather than as a set of cold, dry factoids to be memorized.
Department of Physics * *
Randolph-Macon College * "A clash of doctrines *
P.O. Box 5005 * is not a disaster, *
Ashland, VA 23005-5505 * it is an opportunity." *
* *
phone: (804) 752-7344 * - Alfred North Whitehead *
FAX: (804) 752-4724 * *
http://www.rmc.edu/~gspagna/gspagna.html