Re: CONSERVATION OF ENERGY

I believe I see the basis of Leigh's difficulty now; it is not difficult to
explain - in fact if I continue with the dictionary definition, that may be
sufficient:

*I* have a difficulty? The impediment, Sir, is on the other foot!

Jim Green is correct in being astonished at a physicist consulting
a dictionary for the meaning of "energy". Much as the dictionary
tries to qualify the definition it still falls far short of being
complete. I'll give you an example of a closed system having a
conventionally recognized energy. It's part of Ludwik's system, by
chance.

I offer you one block of iron at zero pressure and absolute zero.
Most of us here will believe that the energy of this system is
given by E=mc^2, a traditional form. Now, please get some work
out of it.

No, you're not permitted to lower the block into a gravitational
well. Work derived by that artifice would involve a larger system
including the source of the gravitational field. You get the idea.

Having just made this question up on the spot I can think of only
one solution myself. Perhaps discussion of it will be interesting.

I wanted to end by quoting Feynman's 'parable of the blocks' (Vol 1, para
4-1) but I find it difficult to extract the essence of Leigh's sense of
perfect explanation.

Perhaps it lies here:
"Energy has a large number of different forms...kinetic energy, heat energy...
...nuclear energy, mass energy."
"It is important to realise that in physics today, we have no knowledge of
what energy is."

That last statement refers to the kind of energy that is "pure",
energy that is not the outcome of some calculation done on the
parameters of a system. Pure energy is unknown. In terms of the
parable the quotation is "there are no blocks." Those who have
not done so should read the entire piece; a snippet won't do.

Leigh