Re: CONSERVATION OF ENERGY

At 06:11 7/15/97 -0600, Jim Green wrote:

"Energy: the property of a system that is a measure of its capacity for
doing work"

You might be excused for mistaking Ludwik's construction for the dictionary
definition that I take to be Leigh's view.

"The" dictionary definition???? Now we are reduced to learning physics from
lexicographers -- one step lower than introductory textbook writers.

I see Jim has a problem with the physicists who compile dictionaries and
encyclopedias of physics.

Perhaps we should consult Nisijima?

You know there *are* some people on this list who really know what they are
talking about and there are others who barely remember what they heard once
in a physics class -- quite a spectrum. ...
I remember taking QM from Nisijima: ...
Jim Green
JMGreen@sisna.com

Jim, I'm not sure in which category you feel more comfortable - I'd like
to think it's in the 'really know what they are talking about' classification.

If this is the case, would you care to share your view of where the dictionary
definition of energy departs from Nisijima's view?

Regards
brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK