Re: CONSERVATION OF ENERGY

"Energy: the property of a system that is a measure of its capacity for
doing work"

You might be excused for mistaking Ludwik's construction for the dictionary
definition that I take to be Leigh's view.

"The" dictionary definition???? Now we are reduced to learning physics from
lexicographers -- one step lower than introductory textbook writers.

You know there *are* some people on this list who really know what they are
talking about and there are others who barely remember what they heard once
in a physics class -- quite a spectrum. Perhaps we should wonder from time
to time just who are the teachers here and who are the learners.

I remember taking QM from Nisijima: On the first day some poor soul asked
what the text would be -- perhaps Powell? Nisijima turned around, bowed
politely, smiled, and said in his quaint English "Has same title as course".
He turned back to the board and started teaching. The class got the point.

Jim Green
JMGreen@sisna.com