RE: What is understanding?

Hi Ludwik-
I did not understand your message.
In particular I did not understand the meaning of "state of mind",
"attended", "novel", "validly discuss" and "expert".
I suggest, for example, that none of us knows how to discuss
a situation that lies entirely outside of our experience.
Regards,
Jack
Students are expected to understand physics. But what is understanding?
It is state of mind, with respect to a topic or a set of topics. But how
can understanding be defined? This is not easy. Here is a description of
understanding that Gregg SwackHammer shared with us. Gregg is one of the
leaders of the workshop for physics teachers in which I am participating
(Modeling workshop at ASU). Instead of focusing what understanding is
Gregg tells us how it can be recognized. He does not remember the source
of his inspiration.
Ludwik Kowalski

UNDERSTANDING is attended when a student can confront a novel situation
and validly discuss it (at length) with an expert.