Re: Multiple choice questions, a new format

I first saw this type question in a test booklet from England, "Objective
Tests in Advanced Level Physics" by Avery and Ingram published in 1970.
There were 99 questions listed with this format. They also authored a test
booklet for Ordinary Level Physics which had 66 such questions. I have
used this format somewhat but not much because I found that good questions
of this type were harder for me to write.
Frank Griffin

I am participating in a workshop for physics teachers (Modeling workshop
at ASU). Here is an interesting format for a multiple-questions test that
Tom Gordon described to us today. It was a new format to me and I think
some of you may also be interested.
Ludwik Kowalski

GENERAL INSTRUCTIONS:
==========================

Each question refers to a sentence which has two parts. Part I and part II
are separated by the word BECAUSE. Read the sentence carefully and make a
judgement about it. In particular decide:

* is part I true or false?
* is part II true or false?
* if both part I and II are true does (or can) part II help to
explain part I ?

Your scantron responses should be:

A when part I is true and part II is true BUT NO CAUSE AND EFFECT RELATION
B when part I is true and part II is false
C wnen part I is false and part II is true
D when part I is false and part II is false
E when both parts are true and when part II can be used to explain part 1

SOME OF TOM'S ILLUSTRATATIVE EXAMPLES
=======================================

1) A heavy cannon ball will fall the force of gravity is
faster than a ligh cannon ball BECAUSE greater on the heavier
cannon ball.

2) The speed of sound is usually the air is less dense at
reduced at higher elevations BECAUSE higher elevations.

3) An incandecsent light bulb the bulb resistance
gets brighter with increasing decreases as the voltage
voltage BECAUSE increases.

4) A rocket with constant thrust the total mass of the
has increased acceleration BECAUSE rocket decreases with time.

C. Frank Griffin Phone: (330) 972-8027
Department of Physics Dept.: (330) 972-7078
University of Akron Fax: (330) 972-6918
Akron, OH 44325-4001 cfg@nebula.physics.uakron.edu