Re: Multiple choice questions, a new format

LUDWIK KOWALSKI wrote:

I am participating in a workshop for physics teachers (Modeling workshop
at ASU). Here is an interesting format for a multiple-questions test that
Tom Gordon described to us today. It was a new format to me and I think
some of you may also be interested.
Ludwik Kowalski

Hi:

It is an interesting format. It is used on (and I imagine originated
with)
the Chemistry Achievement Tests although it is not used on the physics
achievement tests. In fact there is a special part to the Scantron
sheets just for these questions. The student has to separately
indicate whether each clause is correct then whether the second clause
is a correct explanation of the first one.

I have used questions on my own tests that are similar to
the quantitative comparison questions on the SATs. There is a
quantity described in column A and another quantity in
column B. The student answers A if the quantity in column A
is larger, B if the quantity in column B is larger, C if they
are equal, and D if the answer cannot be determined. Some
sample physics questions of this type could be. (I hope
the columns stay aligned when I send this)

Column A Column B

The speed a 50 kg satellite The speed a 100 kg satellite
needs to stay in an Earth orbit needs to stay in an Earth orbit
of twice the Earth's radius of twice the Earth's radius

A 5-kg dynamics cart and a 3-kg dynamics cart collide and
then separate again

The change in momentum of the The change in momentum of the
5-kg cart 3-kg cart

The change in velocity of the The change in speed of the
5-kg cart 3-kg cart

A 20 newton force inclined at an angle of 30 degrees
with respect to the horizontal is pulling a 1-kg block
across a rough surface. The angle that the force makes
with respect to the horizontal is then increased to 40 deg.

The acceleration of the block The acceleration of the block
when the angle was 30 degrees when the angle was 40 degrees

--
Ed Schweber (edschweb@ix.netcom.com)
Physics Teacher at The Solomon Schechter Day School, West Orange, NJ