Re: induced emf and eddy currents

Others have written, in part:

least partially dispose of "motional emf" by noting that we are trying to
do the standard path integral of E in a frame in which the path itself is
moving. If we do that integral in the proper frame we will find a
background electric field (v x B) which precisely accounts for the
observed emf.

Since I have been following this most interesting thread for a few days, I
have been waiting for the "frame of reference" consideration to come up. I
believe that Einstein's special relativity comes up here as some people
think the F = qvxB moves the charges; while others think it is due to a
change in magnetic flux. Depending, of course, on their frame of reference.

Here is where I get confused: Consider a conducting rod of length L, moving
perpendicularly through a UNIFORM magnetic field, B, at a constant velocity,
v. An observer in the lab will detect a potential difference across the rod,
PD = BLv. What about an observer on the rod? According to special relativity,
she must detect it also; but what does she consider to be the cause?

In passing, I must say that I enjoy this 'service' and give thanks to those
who boldly post; even when I disagree with them. It is not without some
trepidation that I make my first post after two months of lurking.
Thanks,
Nick
* Nick C. Steph *
* Franklin College *