Re: Help with an Apparatus

At 13:47 5/25/97 -0500, you wrote:

I have a wall mounted apparatus that I would like to rotate to various
positions and stay put after letting go. I have heard of a teflon
bearing that is used in Dobsonian telescopes. Anyone know more and where
I can get these materials. Thanks in advance.

----------
Tom K. McCarthy Email:mcca6300@spacelink.msfc.nasa.gov

Last weekend, in compliance with my wife's wish to reach out on FM
to gather in a distant Dallas station, I was musing on the virtues
of lead compound wall anchors for fixing antennas on brick walls.

I recalled that after several blow-downs the Eddystone lighthouse
structure was fixed to the rock substrate in a similar way.
A hole was drilled; each hole was filled with hot wax, then the wax
replaced with hot lead compound, which then held the fixings in
place through a following century of storms.

These lead plugs cost around 20 cents each, depending on size;
an authentic bargain.

I notice that surveillance TV cameras often sit on wall mounts
with a pan and tilt head of sorts.
And a pan and tilt is to be found in any camera store.

But I have in the workshop a machinist's angle vise which
handily rotates through 90 degrees and will handle significant
loads. It cost under $30. These are among the many engineering
goods lately flooding in from China.

The preceding discussion was about fixing things that rotate
to walls.

But in reviewing your question, I see there is a wish for 'move
then let go'. This often calls for a counterbalanced pivot.
Amateurs have long coveted robust telescope equatorial mounts
of the English and German types - and these are to be found at a price
in the pages of the Astronomy /Sky & Telescope type magazines.

In connection with PTFE bearings, it is quite possible to buy this
material to have machined to suit through the regular plastic
suppliers.

And at this point I expect I have already related more than
I know...
Regards

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK