RE: what good is "percentage error"?

Well, I had never thought about the incorrectly labelled percentage error as
telling students that the purpose of the laboratory experiment was to get
the right answer. I do remember, however, my course in quantitative analysis
in chemistry where points were taken off according to how far we were from
the "correct" value. Chemistry students would indeed probably draw this
conclusion.

You may be correct in your assumption about student understanding for all
students. I'm getting to the point that I don't know what students assume
about any given thing.

Roger

The "formula" quoted in the original post is clearly telling the students
that the purpose of scientific experiment and measurement is to get the
right answer, reinforcing the notion that the content of our discipline is
one of memorizable facts rather than a process for examining the world
around us.

Roger A. Pruitt, PhD
Professor of Physics
Fort Hays State University