RE: Explaining QM to the layperson

I don't understand "could have". Schrodinger's cat lays it on the line.
Either you are an objective realist or you are not; it's that simple.
What you must recognize is that some belief structure is necessary to the
interpretation of Nature. I am a realist; I believe in objective realism
without reservation. Schrodinger's cat in its mixed state is anathema in
my belief structure, but it is a logical interpretation in the Copenhagen
faith. I reject the Copenhagen faith.

Leigh

Interesting arguments and you certainly have good historical company
making them. However, I am still unclear on how a realist interprets
the wave function? What is doing the waving when a wave function
waves? One should take note of the fact that Yakir Aharonov has
recently been making noises about being able to measure the wave
function of a single particle so some statistical ideas may be on
shaky ground. (I heard this in a colloquium about 2 years ago).

Second question: is it necessary for a realist to believe that he is
independent of that which he observes? That's the classical idea but
it isn't clear to me what you are promoting.

Paul J. Camp "The Beauty of the Universe
Assistant Professor of Physics consists not only of unity
Coastal Carolina University in variety but also of
Conway, SC 29528 variety in unity.
pjcamp@coastal.edu --Umberto Eco
pjcamp@postoffice.worldnet.att.net The Name of the Rose
(803)349-2227