RE: About teaching QM

Dear John,

Our library has the video to which you referred, "The Quantum Universe". =
I showed this when we began this unit which was only to have been one =
week long. Now, two weeks later I finally was able to relate the =
history of the developement of the field of QM and begin to explain some =
of the more interesting puzzles. This discussion on phys-l definitely =
helped. Today, I went into class and read some exerpts from this phys-l =
thread just to let them know what others thought. Also I read the Cecil =
Adams poem called "The Straight Dope on Quantum Mechanics" (see =
http://www.inetspace.com/~barkley/jokes/quantum.html). They got quite a =
kick out it.

I then explained the electron diffraction experiment ala Feynman as in =
the first chapter of volume three of his lectures on physics. This they =
seemed to accept more readily than my explanation of the Schrodinger's =
Cat gedanken experiment. Following this I screened one of the tapes =
from the "Beyond the Mechanical Universe" series entitled "Particles and =
Waves". It was perfect because in the video they had animations of =
precisely the experiments that I had described somewhat less effectively =
on the black board. I simply advised them to ignore the mathemematics =
and concentrate on the concepts. It seemed to work well.

After one more day of discussion we will wrap this up.=20

Thanks for the advice. I am still interested in hearing from anyone who =
has explored any unique, successful or unsuccessful, approaches to =
presenting this material, with or without math.