Re: Explaining QM to the layperson

I am in need of some advice regarding the best way to explain certain
quantum mechanical concepts to the layperson. In particular, I have been
trying to get across to students in a class made up primarily of liberal
arts majors, the nature of quantum mechanical superposition states. First I
provided them with a historical overview of the developement of the field.
My goal was to convey to them some of the more "bizarre" quantum mechanical
phenomena, i.e. Schrodingers Cat Paradox, EPR and correlations via entagled
states, double slit diffraction,....

I ran into a wall when trying to explain that at the quantum level it seems
that "ghostly" superposition states are in fact a real possibility unlike at
the macroscopic level, hence the Schrodinger's Cat Paradox. It seems that I
am in need of a way to convince them that superposition states can exist at
the QM level and do behave differently than eigen-states of some observable.
Also, the idea of the collapse of the superpostion state to an eigenstate
upon the act of observation or measurement by an observer seemed to be
equally elusive concept to convey to these students.

Any advice in this matter would be greatly apprciated.

Brian J. Oliver
Instructor of Physics
Niagara County Community College
3111 Saunders Settlement Road
Sanborn, NY 14132
(716)731-3271 x375

John Gribbins has published a couple of good books that try to approach some
QM both with a laymen's perspective and with a philosophical perspective.

"In Search of Schroedinger's Cat" and "Schroedinger's Kittens and the Search
for Reality"

I don't have them handy so I can't tell you the publisher, but they are good
references for the kinds of expplanations you are looking for. Maybe outside
reading assignments?

R. Allen Shotwell
Chair, Science and Math
Ivy Tech State College