Explaining QM to the layperson

I am in need of some advice regarding the best way to explain certain =
quantum mechanical concepts to the layperson. In particular, I have =
been trying to get across to students in a class made up primarily of =
liberal arts majors, the nature of quantum mechanical superposition =
states. First I provided them with a historical overview of the =
developement of the field. My goal was to convey to them some of the =
more "bizarre" quantum mechanical phenomena, i.e. Schrodingers Cat =
Paradox, EPR and correlations via entagled states, double slit =
diffraction,....

I ran into a wall when trying to explain that at the quantum level it =
seems that "ghostly" superposition states are in fact a real possibility =
unlike at the macroscopic level, hence the Schrodinger's Cat Paradox. =
It seems that I am in need of a way to convince them that superposition =
states can exist at the QM level and do behave differently than =
eigen-states of some observable. Also, the idea of the collapse of the =
superpostion state to an eigenstate upon the act of observation or =
measurement by an observer seemed to be equally elusive concept to =
convey to these students.

Any advice in this matter would be greatly apprciated.

*
Brian J. Oliver
Instructor of Physics
Niagara County Community College