ozone layer re-cycling

somewhere this week I read something that surprised me and want to check
itout with readerss of this list.
We have all heard of atoms or molecules that act as catalysts for the
breakdown of ozone in the upper atmosphere. I had always sort ofpictured this
as affecting a small percentage of the ozone at any one time and knew there
was mechanism that replenished ozone also.
the surprising figure to me was the claim that essentially all the
ozone is destroyed once every HOUR and replaced so that small difference in
the rates of production and replenishing can make net gain or loss more
significant.
Is there really this much turnover? How can that be verified from
the surface of the earth or satellite measurements?
Thanks for any filling in of details.

Jim Braunsdorf