Re: Hungarian Heat

Jim Green wrote on Wed, 16 Apr 1997 15:34:50 -0600 :

Would others who's native language is not English please give the terms =
used
for "Q" and "W" in those languages and those terms transliterated to =
English..

Here's the 'German' (although Austrian) point.

language markup: "german" 'english'

W ... "Arbeit" ... 'work'
Q ... "Waerme" ... ??? and here the merry-go-round starts again
:-)

My dictionary says: "Waerme" =3D 'warmth', which is true in the
sense that "Waerme" is the noun to "warm"=3D'warm', but as noun to
"warm" and "heiss"('hot') we use "Hitze"=3D'heat'.

So we don't have your problem. "Waerme" is a relatively rarely
used term easily getting its technical fixed meaning. "Hitze" is
never used in physics.
UNtil now I could't understand the trouble many of you took with
'heat' - I didn't look it up, used it in its physics-meaning and
never realized its everyday meaning of 'having high temperature'

Bye, bye
Guntbert
+please correct me, if I misuse some technical terms+
Mag. Guntbert Reiter, Graz, Austria
teacher for physics, mathematics and computer science
e-mail : guntbert@cut.big.ac.at