Re: Weight

On Thu, 10 Apr 1997, Tim Burgess wrote:

On Thu, 10 Apr 1997, Michael N. Monce wrote:
I think we must look carefully at the preparation that students
get in high school, middle school, and elementary now as compared to the
1950's, before making statements about the nature of the students.

When passing the blame why not mention parents? How about aggressive
colleges that seek higher and higher proportions of students without
regard for preparation? I'm not sure that K-12 can take all the blame.
Possibly we are teaching a different population? There are too many
colleges? (& too many Physics Departments?)

Preparation sure has been affected by many factors.

You are right, of course. The lack of total preparation has many
sources. The unprepared 18 year old of today compared to the fifties is a
result of not only education preparation, but also home and society
environment. I certainly did not mean to dump on education only; sorry.

Mike Monce
Connecticut College