Re: Feeling Acceleration

At 01:49 AM 4/10/97, James Mclean wrote:
The accelerometer in an auto air bag measures the auto's acceleration
without measuring the force on the auto. If the auto's mass were known,
then the device could subsequently figure the force.
A spring scale will measure the force between two bodies, but doesn't give
any indication as to whether either body is accelerating. But given
additional information, an acceleration could be deduced.

Some measurements are more indirect than others.

--
--James McLean

I feel a little uncomfortable about this airbag sensor text.
I seem to recall there is a mechanical switch type that uses a ball restrained
by a spring, which allows the ball to move onto a contact, given sufficient
deceleration.

Sincerely
brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK