Re: Weight

Changing the conventional meaning of "weight" is an inappropriate reaction
to a pedagogical "problem" that doesn't exist. If a student proves
incapable of understanding the conventional definition then perhaps we
should advise that student that he is not suited to a discipline which
requires him to understand physics. Again, I'll have to apologize for
offering such a radical solution.

I guess I don't understand why you think no pedagogical problem exists. There
is abundant literature and anecdotal evidence that it does exist. Why else
are we discussing it?

Incidentally, what is weight anyway? Suppose my mass is 80 kg. On the
Earth I weigh 176 lbs. On the Moon I weigh roughly 30 lbs. How much
would I weigh on an asteroid whose mass is around 100 kg? Technically, I can
compute the gravitational force, but does calling this my weight mean
anything? Where is the dividing line?

Van
Van E. Neie ven@physics.purdue.edu
Purdue University