Re: airfoil GIFs

At 03:24 PM 3/29/97, William Beaty wrote:

These are exceptionally interesting images.
They are both informative and ( possibly) deceptive.
It is evident in the images themselves that the extended
chord line forward is affecting the airflow at this early point.

We see at the trailing edge, that the formerly vertically aligned
pulse row is now offset: a wider spacing after the upper surface;
a narrower spacing after the lower surface.
We can easily conclude that the airflow does not rejoin, packet with
( formerly adjacent) packet.

But wait a moment.
In the far field, it is a reasonable assumption that there will be no
pressure gradient through the vertical column including these pulses.
Hence, at this far distance, if there is still a discontinuity in the
vertical pulse column, we are entitled to ask," where is the missing air packet
which would be needed to make these vertical pulses again align?"

It seems some packets have been expelled, perhaps sidewards, but certainly
downwards in a manner calculated to please the Newtonians.

:-)

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK