mac -> PC file conversion

To all,
I hope someone can answer this for me. When I get files for our
faculty for posting on our WWW site that use macs and save the files to PC
disks, we have some problems.

1) Lots of the files have "!" as the first character of the filename even
though they were not saved that way. This also screws up the filename if
the full 8 characters.ext are used. The "!" rolls the last character of
the name off in to the bit bucket and really screws things up. Why is
this?

2) What is this "resource" directory it sets up on the disk? It doesn't
take up much space, it's just a pain to remove.

--
James Bradford Shue jshue@comp.uark.edu
University of Arkansas Voice phone:(501) 575-6059