Re: Basic for the Mac

At 07:35 PM 3/28/97 -0800, Alan Cairns wrote:
... MacStandardBasic [] is available at http://www.zcurve.com/

... looks good on the surface. If you have to use Basic, that is... :)

Alan Cairns

I found it exciting to stumble across a piece of gripping interest
in an unlikely place - Dr Dobbs Journal, no less.
In the April issue there is a description of a genetic algorithm
so spare that its gist is listed in 20 lines of pseudocode, or so.

This "Differential Evolution" method is specified for optimizing
functions of real numbers - a system of 60 parameters is within
its reach.
And, would you believe it, it works on some trying functions too.

My old old IBM 286 box fit only for word processing I thought,
was able to turn out the goods quite promptly with an interpreted
Basic using perhaps 50 lines of code in total.
Highly recommended.
brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK