Re: Machine Shop?

At 08:15 AM 3/18/97 +0000, Martha Takats wrote:
During a building renovation, we are considering getting rid of our
departmental machine shop (the room could be converted to something
else) -- at the moment, it doesn't get much use, and we would have
access to tools elsewhere on campus. We are a 3-1/2 person department;
we do have students doing research much of the time. My question is: do
those of you in similar situations feel that a machine shop is useful,
valuable, necessary in a college department of this size?
--

We got rid of our machine shop several years ago, with a promise from our
Physical Plant (to whom the machinery was moved) that they would provide

Department of Physics * *
Randolph-Macon College * And so some day, *
P.O. Box 5005 * The mighty ramparts of the mighty universe *
Ashland, VA 23005-5505 * Ringed round with hostile force *
* Will yield and face decay *
phone: (804) 752-7344 * and come crumbling to ruin. *
FAX: (804) 752-4724 * - Lucretius, De Rerum Natura *