of the C.M. of the particle system. ...

It may be OK to look at it this way, but I prefer to say that these you
are referring to two *different* work-energy theorems:

#1: It is *always* the case that the total work done on a system by
external forces calculated with respect to an inertial frame is equal to
the total change in energy (bulk kinetic + random kinetic + internal
potential) of the system. The first example is a highly special instance
of this general law in which the total energy is equal to the bulk kinetic
energy simply because the chosen system has no internal degrees of
freedom.

#2: It is also *always* the case that the total "pseudowork" done on a
system is equal to the change in the system's bulk kinetic energy. The
second example is an instance of this general law.

As I mentioned in a previous post, there are many useful work-energy
theorems. Seven of them are detailed in my paper with Harvey Leff "All
About Work", AJP, 60, 356-365, 1992.)

John
A. John Mallinckrodt email: mallinckrodt@csupomona.edu
Professor of Physics voice: 909-869-4054
Cal Poly Pomona fax: 909-869-5090
Pomona, CA 91768 office: Building 8, Room 223
web: http://www.sci.csupomona.edu/~mallinckrodt/