RE: hale-bopp

Hello All!

For directions to make a Hallway size model of the orbit of Hale-Bopp
please visit

http://www.pa.msu.edu/abrams/hbmodel.html

At this location, we have the data and instructions to make the orbit of
the comet from 4200BC to 3400 AD.

The necessary materials are wire (to make the orbit) or string. Masking
tape or address labels to make the dates.

One idea that works very well with all age groups is to that the person
walk a century in a regular period of time, say 5 to 10 seconds. This
illustrates the speed changes physically as well as intellitually.

Please let me know, if you "build" the model. Thanks.

Once you have built the model go to the following and take a walk of 66
centuries. This will give the model that interdisciplinary favor we all
are encouraged to have today.

http://www.pa.msu.edu/abrams/hbwalk.html

I am working on uploading a graphic of the comet's orbit to scale, so that
we all can have a paper version (at least out to Jupiter), and the model
displays the 3D of the solar system's interaction with H-B.
Hope to have that address soon.

Good luck with the model the cost is low and the time is about 1 hour if
you DONOT put it on the ceiling. The one at Abrams is on the ceiling and
that added more time.

Sheron Snyder
Outreach Coordinator
Physics and Astronomy
Abrams Planetarium
National Superconducting Cyclotron
snyders@pa.msu.edu

In nature there are no rewards or punishment. There are consequences.