Re: Work/Energy Theorem

On Tue, 11 Mar 1997, Jim Green wrote:

Is the so called work-energy theorem absolute?

Can the kinetic energy of an object/system change if no work is done to/by
the object/system?

Jim Green
JMGreen@sisna.com

Do we really want to get into this? Some things to think about.
Because of the Lorentz equation the force due to the magnetic field
on moving charges does no work (it is perpendicular to the velocity of
the charges because of the v x B term), but we all know that
diesel-electric locomotives do get under way (change their kinetic
energy). This one can be tough.

W. Barlow Newbolt 540-463-8881 (telephone)
108 Parmly Hall 540-463-8884 (fax)
Washington and Lee University newbolt.w@fs.science.wlu.edu
Lexington, Virginia 24450 wnewbolt@liberty.uc.wlu.edu

"The best measure of a man's honesty isn't his income tax return. It's the
zero adjust on his bathroom scale"
Arthur C. Clarke