Re: Overhead View Screens

On 5 Mar 97 at 21:39, Tish Richey wrote:

I have been informed that I need to turn in a wish list tomorrow
morning. What are "those interface-screen things" called that allow
you to show your computer screen on the overhead? Thanks.

They're usually called "projection panels." You can get a basic one
for a couple of thousand dollars, and a better one for 3k. Don't
economize by getting a small active area panel; even though you can
project just as large an image the brightness is way down.

Further, unless the panel is active matrix or something called
enhanced passive matrix, the panel is too slow to keep up with many
animations, and the mouse cursor submarines when you move it,
reappearing somewhere roughly (but not quite) where you wanted it.

You will also need a high brightness, well-adjusted overhead
projector. Ignore what some people tell you about needing a less
bright projector to keep the panel from overheating; modern panels
don't have that problem.

Another, more expensive but better solution is to get an all-in-one
projector. The image is brighter and in good focus across the image.
(You're not at the mercy of the idiot who picks up the overhead
projector by the lens arm, thus destroying the alignment.)

Examples from a PC Connection catalog: Polaroid Polaview 10
Projector, $4199. Polaview 1700 LCD Panel, $1999.

Usually these can be used with both PCs and Macs. (Let's not start
that war again...)

It can be dangerous to buy these sight-unseen--you need to see the
image they produce. Some are markedly better than others.

Having said all this, the only really satisfactory projection
solution for me is a very expensive, very bright reflection-based
DLP projector (as opposed to LCD transmission) that give a
knock-your-eyes-out bright image so that you don't have to dim the
room. A darkened room is death to effective teaching.

These things are in the 8 to 10k range, I believe.

JEG

--
John E. Gastineau (304) 296-1966
900 B Ridgeway Ave. gastineau@badgerden.com