Re: Computers

Physler's,

Lowell makes an excellent point. I remember the Ford/Chevy arguments from
early elementary school, this being an area big in stock car racing. Does
this mean that after all this time we have simply aged but haven't learned
to recognize a stupid agrument? I am a Mac fanatic! Why? More than any
other reason because the former director of computer services and many of
the members of my department tried to force me to purchase and use PC's,
basically ramming them down my throat. I don't hate PC's, I have never
given them a chance. I use Word and will not use WordPerfect, and I use
Maple and will not use Mathematica for the same
reason. It has nothing to do with reasoning and logic.

An interesting point comes to mind. As scientist we (of all people) should
be the first and the best at recognizing the differences between facts and
opinions.

Yeah Leigh. Word 5 running here too. Excel 4.0 and PageMaker 4.2 and
Superpaint 2.0. I finally ordered Maple 5 release 4 to upgrade from 5.0
when I discovered that the new version had elliptic functions and
integrals. I believe lots of tax payers money gets flushed by the reflex
reaction of ordering the latest release of software just because its new. I
generally wait until the new version offers some feature I need.

Peace.
andy