Re: Light source

At 09:58 PM 2/25/97 -0500, Tish Richey wrote:
I would like to present the "light" section in Physics. Unfortunately, I
do not think I have the proper equipment. I was thinking of purchasing
eight pen light lasers. But, recently I found a box of lights (plug in,
40-60 watts). Can is use these with some type of box for ray tracings?

Yes and no. Plain light bulbs can be used with simple lenses to do all
sorts of image formation demonstrations and experiments. To do ray tracing
you will need some combinations of lenses to collimate the light. (Simply
cutting slits in the side of a box will give diffuse, diverging "rays".

If
not does anyone have a good source for laser pen lights?

They used to be a bit pricey, but the diode lasers are mass-produced for
point-of-sale scanners, so they've really dropped. I know that Edmund
Scientific has them for under $50 - you might check your local Radio
Shack, too.

Department of Physics * *
Randolph-Macon College * And so some day, *
P.O. Box 5005 * The mighty ramparts of the mighty universe *
Ashland, VA 23005-5505 * Ringed round with hostile force *
* Will yield and face decay *
phone: (804) 752-7344 * and come crumbling to ruin. *
FAX: (804) 752-4724 * - Lucretius, De Rerum Natura *