Re: INNUMERACY, was Re: Use of Calculators

Actually, I have been shocked to find that I have to teach my students how to
use the exponent key and manipulate exponents with their calculators. I've
even been citing some astronomy notes on the web when students ask "how do
I enter this number" -- the mass of the Earth, etc. I think there's a real
need for some simple tutorials in dealing with +,-, /,* operations in

Agreed - the problem is the difference in the entry styles - three at
least I can think of - The old style, reverse Polish (HP calculators)
and the new ones that handle fractions and square roots differently

eg 4 (square root key) compared to (square root key) 4

This year I am giving some small credit in my Physics Course (F6
in NZ) purely for calculations handling Standard form, Square roots,
brackets and significant figures.

I discovered last year a number of students had done all their self
marked class work *wrong* (with the powers of tens incorrect). They
decided 'rough enough is good enough' and as a result their tests
were not the best. !! :-( !!

exponential notations with a calculator. I KNOW this wasn't the case with
my Purdue Freshman engineers, but every other class I have taught Physics
or Asty to has required a mini-tutorial.

Has anyone written one, or should I get off my rear and do it moi-meme?

Regards, Derek.
back on the list after a break. RSI and a mailer problem.

Derek Chirnside, Physics Department, Shirley Boys High School.
PO Box 27 025, Christchurch 8001, New Zealand.
chirnsided@mars.shirley.school.nz