Re: Computers

Comparing Macs and PCs Rick Tarara points out that for Macintosh:

... office software is at least a generation behind ...

I'm a physicist, but I was unaware that this was a significant
problem. I use Microsoft Excel and Word, both version 5 flavors.
Am I missing something significant? For my purposes these
applications serve all needs I know. I am aware that Microsoft
has released Word 6, but I understand it is a pig, and there is
no reason to "upgrade" as the flacks would have it. My source
of information is a very knowledgeable former Microsoft
programmer, by the way. He say the great advantage of Word 6 is
that it is nearly exactly like the PC version! Upgrading is
a gratuitous excess in my opinion. Word Five Works Fine.

Another reason to be more laid back about being "a generation"
(or three) behind is that my pocket lint is greener as a result.

Leigh