Re: Use of Calculators

On Mon, 24 Feb 1997, B. Esser wrote:

On Mon, 24 Feb 1997, David Thiessen wrote:

Hi Physics Phriends,

up at the back of the room. With their backs facing me, I announced,
"During the exam, I'm going to come around and check your calculator for
formulas AND I KNOW HOW TO GET AROUND THE MEMORY CLEARED MESSAGE." Then I
watched with a smirk on my face while at least one-half of the class
started playing with buttons on their TI-XX's.

Had you tried to erase my programs, which i programmed myself, you would
have had a fight on your hands and quite possibly a lawsuit for
destruction of intellectual private property.

This depends of course on what was announced prior to your coming to the
exam with a programmable calculator. If the teacher appears to be making
up new rules on the fly that's one thing, but if the class has been
informed that you are not allowed to bring crib sheets, notes or books
to the exam and you choose to bring a programmable calculator, then you
are digging your own grave. It is pretty obvious that this amounts to the
same thing as unauthorized sheets of paper on your desk, the teacher
should but isn't required to have spelled this out in advance (any more so
than they need to spell out that you can't come in with equations written
on your palms - its obvious that the rules about crib sheets cover this).
In that case it is up to you to choose between putting it away along with
all your class notes, textbook etc, or having the proctor do whatever they
wish to make sure the memory is truly clear. Any incidental damage to
your intellectual property is your own fault. If you choose to pay to
have a lawyer tell you so, that's your choice.

| Doug Craigen |
| |
| If you think Physics is no laughing matter, think again .... |
| http://cyberspc.mb.ca/~dcc/phys/humor.html |