Re: Computers

Just a few comments living in both worlds (PC & Mac). Last several PC
machines (WIN95) that I've installed have been out of the box, hooked up
(including network), and running in 30 minutes (and most of that was just
unpacking). Over the last two years, I've had much more trouble getting
peripherals working with Macs than PCs --stupid cables that are directional
;-(. From a programming point of view I much prefer the PC--my software
(authored in True Basic) runs on all PCs from 286 machines on up and under
DOS, Win3.1, and Win95. The Mac versions are more temperamental {maybe
True Basic's fault--but....} requiring newer versions of the OS, needing
PowerMacs setup in certain ways, not wanting to run at all on certain
models (but fine on most others), sensitive to certain extensions, and the
like.

With 10's of millions of Win95 systems out there, the vast majority of
people have no trouble at all. 99% of the troubles people do have is
because of badly designed software and hardware. [I've been living with
Win95 since the preview program without any memorable problems from the
Operating System.] With more 'uncontrolled' software available over the
net, Mac owners will find much of the same (those little bombs are
equivalent to the 'blue screen of death').

Both systems will serve you well for basic computing tasks. Macs are a bit
better (because of the available software) for some graphical applications
and PCs are FAR superior for gaming. Win95 WILL run virtually all software
written for DOS and Windows while newer versions of the Mac OS have a habit
of breaking some older software.

There is a real question about the long term viability of Apple. Normally
you would look at a 3-5 year lifetime of a machine and assume Apple will
survive at least that long, but there is a finite chance (some odds are as
bad as 50-50) that they won't survive beyond this. The question for a
purchaser then becomes--if I can't replace my Mac with another Mac in 5
years, then all the software I buy for the Mac will be useless for my
'next' machine. Of course the software tends to have the same half-life
(somethings even shorter) than the hardware--so maybe its not important.
{I've got a couple drawers full of Amiga software however, that speaks to
this point.}

Rick
----------
From: John D. Sample <sample@lyon.edu>

The bottom line is whether you like to tinker with the machine or not,
and
whether you have access to (or are) a computer expert. If the answer to
both is "no" then you are far better off with a Mac. If the answer is
yes,
get a PC by all means. They are cheaper and more customizable.

(snip)

I sometimes feel left out with a Mac. There is no challege to using any
of
these things. No tales of harrowing trouble-shooting to share. Plug and
play.