Re: Programmable Calculator Policies

I now have a policy of erasing students' calculator memories before
tests or to do without the calculator if the students scream. In
addition, as much as possible, I try to make test questions that do not
require the use of a calculator.

What are some of your comments or policies concerning programmable
calculators? I would like to hear from both high school and college
instructors.

I have had similar experiences. Also, with each new calculator out
there, I have to get another manual or find someone with one in order to
learn how to clear the memory. My solution is simple, I have bought a
class set (30) calculators. I issue them to the students during class to
use. I intruct them on how to use them. I check periodically for
illegal programs. They use my calculators or none on the tests.
Its a bit expensive to start, but I have found it worthwhile. Once you
get started, its a matter of replacing one or two a year.--

Mariam W. Dittmann
DeKalb College
Clarkston, GA

mdittman@dekalb.dc.peachnet.edu