Re: Computer life-span...

Dwight K. Souder wrote:

What I'm wondering is if Gateway computers (or some
other other computer brands) are more or less "disposable" computers?
After around three years, will the computer be no longer functional?
Will it become like my car, pieces and parts falling apart and needing
replaced to keep it running?

Dwight;

You caught me just at the right moment. I just ordered
a new Gateway desktop last night to replace a 486DX 50 WinBook
laptop that is only about 21/2 years old. A used computer
dealer who sells stuff on consignment thinks I can get about
$800 for the laptop, which makes getting the new Gateway easier.

I do bring the laptop to school with me every day and it
obviously gets more beaten up than a desktop would. However,
I have had a good deal of trouble with it - the hard drive
and keyboard most recently.

Prior to the laptop I had an 8088 Tandy 1000 for nine
years; with the only repair being a less than $100 power
supply problem. But keeping the computer that long was
itself a problem, since I couldn't keep current with the
new Windows developments. I had taught myself Pascal and
had begun writing some simulation programs; but lost
interest when my computer couldn't handle the newer compilers

Now I have perhaps become paranoid, afraid of falling
technologically behind. I teach in a private school with no real
tenure and there is always the chance of some hot shot computer
whiz who can also teach physics coming along. My school so far
only has some old Macs in a computer lab and two PC's in the
library. We have been talking about a major computer upgrade for
years. Now it actually looks likely - we were accredited last
year and computers were one of the major recommendations.

Besides which, I do find that newer software
does not work well on a 486. I got Microsoft office
97 and find it actually more sluggish than office 95.
And I have once again begun to pick up with the
programming -this time with Visual Basic. Microsoft
will be releasing a fully compliable (and much faster
version) in March, but alas they strongly recommend a
pentium and list a 486/66 as the bare minimum.

My new Gateway is a Pentium Pro 200 megahertz. But
even as I write, Intel has announced an even newer chip
that combines the Pentium Pro with the new MMX technology
and which runs at about 266 megaherx. The guy I spoke with
at Gateway did not know if the new computer would be
compatable with the current Pentium Pros.

So I guess what I am saying is that if you are content
and disciplined enough to stick with older software, a
computer can easily last 10 years. But the lifetime is
effectively shorter because so many of us begin to itch
after three or four years.

On the other hand, if you want to go the other extreme
and get a refurbished 486 or a stripped down refurbished
pentium you might try the following web site:

http://mer.shop.ibm.com/shopping.ibmcredit

I'm not sure; but my impression is that these are
machines repossesed from people who could not keep
up their credit payments.

Hope this rambling note helps and keep me
posted about how your new Gateway turns out if
you decide to go for it.

Ed Schweber
edschweb@ix.netcom.com